The 2019 Tokyo Tri Service Dental Symposium is a 2.5 day continuing education meeting hosted by the US Army Dental Health Activity – Japan. Fifteen ADA CERP continuing education credits can be earned through attendance. Military members from the Army, Air Force, Navy, JGSDF, as well as civilian dental professionals are all welcome to attend.
Attire: Class B or the equivalent for attendees. Service dress or the equivalent for presenters. Business casual for civilians.
Announcing Dr. Philippe Hujoel as the 2019 Keynote Speaker
Dr. Hujoel (DDS, MSD, MS, PhD) serves in the Council of Scientific Affairs and the Evidence-Based Dentistry Advisory Committee of the American Dental Association (ADA) and is a member of 4 expert panels. He received the Distinguished Scientist Award from International Association of Dental Research and is a founding Senior Associate Editor of the Journal of Evidence-Based Dental Practice.
- Title: Do we really live/practice according the principles of evidence-based medicine?
- Synopsis: Public health officials tell healthy people to avoid the sun, to avoid salt, to avoid saturated fats. These officials instead advise us to eat starches and vegetable oils, to eat vegetables and fruit, and, to apply sun tan lotion. Such “preventive” health advice has never been validated in rigorous randomized trials, and may cause more harm than good.
- Suggested reading: http://www.cmaj.ca/content/167/4/363
- Title: Do we give our dental patient evidence-based advice on dental disease prevention?
- Synopsis: Oral hygiene efforts (without fluoride) is one of the least effective methods for dental caries prevention. We will explore why many of us may have this deeply engrained believe that clean teeth do not decay.
- Suggested reading: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/ger.12331
- Title: Epidemiology – When do we trust the findings of non-randomized studies?
- Synopsis: The International Journal of Epidemiology published an editorial in 2001 with the title:” Epidemiology-is it time to call it a day?”. The inability of epidemiological studies to reliably identify causal associations have become all too well documented. Some simple rules are presented to guide us when to take note of epidemiological findings.
- Suggested reading: https://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/16/magazine/16epidemiology-t.html
- Title: Screening – All about informed consent and do not harm.
- Synopsis: Many diseases such as cancer, chronic periodontitis, and diabetes may never progress to morbidity and mortality. Screening populations to identify the early stages of such diseases may thus lead to harm – some people will become labeled as diseased, and may become exposed to treatments with side-effects.
- Suggested reading: https://academic.oup.com/jnci/article/102/9/605/894608
- Title: Diagnosis – When more information is less
- Synopsis: More diagnostic information does not necessarily lead to better clinical decisions. Research findings in the area of dental cariology, dental implant therapy, and orthodontics suggest that the “more-information-is-better” principle is also in need of questioning in the dental arena.
- Suggested reading: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/71dd/1992ea91b63e1c485bf30ff3298db6f4f926.pdf
Dr. Servando Ramos, JR DDS, FACP
Dr. Ramos is an Associate Professor and the Director of Prosthodontics Residency at the University of Washington. He recently retired after 30 years of active duty service from the United States Army Dental Corps where he was the Prosthodontic Residency Program Director and the Prosthodontic Consultant to the Surgeon General of the Army. Additionally, Dr. Ramos is member of the American Academy of Fixed Prosthodontics, and the American Dental Association. Dr. Ramos lectures nationally and internationally on esthetics and implant dentistry.
LTC (Dr.) Joseph Michael Dutner, DMD
LTC Dutner is the Residency Director of the Endodontics Residency at U.S Army Fort Gordon, Georgia. He is also an Assistant Professor at the Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences, and the Deputy Endodontics Consultant to the Surgeon General of the Army. LTC Dutner is a Diplomat of American Board of Endodontics.
Dr. Kakuhiro Fukai, DDS, PhD
Dr. Fukai is the Director of the Fukai Institute of Health Science in Japan and former standing director of Japan Dental Association, Community Health Division. He also currently serves as chair of the FDI’s Oral Health for Ageing Population Task Team, visiting professor at Kanagawa Dental University, visiting researcher at Japan’s National Institute of Public Health, director of the 8020 Promotion Foundation, and vice president of the Japanese Society for Oral Health. Dr. Fukai has also published over 40 books and 200 research articles on oral health promotion.
Dr. Yoshihide Ota, DDS, PhD
Dr. Ota is a Professor and the Director of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Residency at Tokai University School of Medicine, Japan. He is a board certified fellow of the Japanese Society of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons, and the Japanese Board of Cancer Therapy. Dr. Ota is also the Director of Japanese Society of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons, Japanese Society of Oral Oncology, and Japanese Society for Head and Neck Cancer.
Dr. Takeo Kurihashi, DDS, MD, PhD
Dr. Kurihashi is a Professor and the Director of the Department of Internal Medicine at Kanagawa Dental University Yokohama Clinic, Japan. He received his DDS degree from Kyusu Dental University in Fukuoka and MD degree from Tokai University School of Medicine. Dr. Kurihashi is the founder of Medical Corporation Kenseikai and the Kurihashi Dental Clinic in Tokyo.
Marycris Gandionco, PT, DPT, CKTP
Dr. Gandionco is a Doctor of Physical Therapy and it is supplemented by a Physical Therapy curriculum approved by a recognized professional accrediting organization (APTA). She specializes in orthopedic outpatient and inpatient care settings, is a certified Trigger Point Dry Needling Practitioner, Certified Kinesiotaping Practitioner, Certified Selective Functional Movement Assessment Specialist (SFMA), APTA Certified Clinical Instructor, and Certified Ergonomic Assessment Specialist(CEAS).